Tech Lead, COVID-19 US Contact Tracing Acceleration Initiative
Resolve to Save Lives, an initiative of Vital Strategies
6-Month, Full-time Consultancy
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about our Prevent Epidemics initiative, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://preventepidemics.org/
We have formed a COVID-19 Incident Management System to control and mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus in vulnerable low- and middle-income countries and the United States. A significant area of focus for our work in the US is accelerating and strengthening the technical and operational capacity of local public health departments to carry out impactful contact tracing to reduce the spread of infection and allow for the safe reopening of society as soon as possible. As part of this effort, we are building and deploying efficiency and efficacy tools for jurisdictions all over the US that are scaling up traditional contact tracing efforts. We are looking for an engineering leader to guide our technical strategy.
The Tech Lead will be responsible for working with our engineering partner (Geometer) and external government partners to make smart, strategic technology decisions. Our contact tracing efforts are in partnership with NY State as well as Philadelphia, so you will have real proving grounds for the software products we are building. Each tool we make will need to scale across jurisdictions in the US and integrate with a variety of systems, so you will need to develop an understanding of the technical landscape of contact tracing and ensure that we are creating flexible, useful, pragmatic tools that will scale.
It is crucial that you do not take a technology-first approach to solving problems. Many of the solutions we are pursuing are ‘low tech’ but pragmatic tools that will be able to save lives. All resulting work will be open-source and available to anyone who needs it, with no strings attached.
This is a full-time, 6-month consultancy, renewable depending on program need.
- Oversee all technical decisions
- Coordinate closely with our engineering partner, Geometer, to make smart decisions together
- Ensure quality control and a good bug management process is being followed
- Coordinate with pilot jurisdictions and government partners
- Understand contact tracing management platforms (e.g. Salesforce, SaraAlert, etc) for future integrations
- Follow emerging trends (e.g. proximity tracing/contact notification tools) to ensure we give good advice internally and externally about their use
- Ensure security and compliance
- 10+ years’ experience leading software engineering teams
- Experience creating web and mobile apps
- Experience deploying software in government or medical environments
- Excellent coordination skills — you will be rallying disparate teams across the US
- Deep experience across a wide technology stack -- integrations will be across many architectures and environments in health jurisdictions in the US
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Experience building software to support operational efficiency or building tools for complex service delivery
- Experience with developing medical software and legal issues of handling PHI
How to Apply: Send your resume and a cover letter describing your experience, suitability for this role and fee expectations to email@example.com by July 13, 2020. We encourage you to submit applications as soon as possible as we will move quickly to shortlist, interview and appoint. Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.