Senior Vice President, Technology
Posted: October 15, 2020
Resolve to Save Lives, an initiative of Vital Strategies
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization that strengthens public health systems and addresses the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making, advancing evidence-based public health policies and programs, and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, international organizations, community organizations, academic and other partners in more than 40 countries to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and strengthening capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about us, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/; https://preventepidemics.org/; and https://linkscommunity.org/.
The Senior Vice President, Technology will focus on the big picture of how technology enhances the goals of Resolve to Save Lives: building relationships with internal and external partners; setting strategic vision and direction; overseeing security operations and compliance; choosing technologies; hiring; supervising a team of leaders; and contracting.
Resolve to Save Lives has technology projects across our programmatic areas. This role will oversee technology strategy for digital products across Cardiovascular Health, Prevent Epidemics, and COVID Response projects. The Cardiovascular Health team is developing the Simple.org project, the US COVID-19 Response team is developing open source tools for US public health jurisdictions, and the Prevent Epidemics team is creating a project management tool for countries building capacity for the next pandemic. The SVP, Technology will drive our strategic technology choices across program areas and help each team to make smart decisions that benefit the organization as a whole. The SVP will not have to be responsible for the day-to-day software development of each of the teams — we will avoid unnecessary levels of bureaucracy and empower this person to be an enabler.
Our goal is to bring on someone who can take a ten thousand foot view, guide strategic vision, create partnerships with key decision-makers in global health and technology, and ensure we are making good choices that avoid pitfalls. This role will report to our CEO, former US CDC Director, Dr Tom Frieden and will be surrounded by world class product and design talent drawn from places like Google Ventures, Clover Health and Flatiron Health who joined us to do important, mission-driven work. You will also work hand-in-hand with deeply experienced public health experts and epidemiologists in the US and around the world. With programming across the globe, the SVP, Technology is expected to travel within the US and internationally once travel is safe.
The Senior Vice President, Technology shall have responsibilities such as but not limited to the following:
- Set strategic vision and direction, on both digital products and the integration with public health programs
- Create strategic relationships (e.g. with in-country partners and governments)
- Oversee licensing and open source strategy
- Vendor review and negotiation, contract management
- Establish protocols for handling technology issues, including but not limited to over-arching data hosting and data privacy approaches and protections
- Develop staff onboarding and offboarding processes
- Advise the CEO and leadership
- Establish and ensure compliance with data access and data use policies
- Oversee security operations
- Work with legal counsel to ensure compliance with local regulations and policies, including data sovereignty issues
- Strong experience balancing what is technically possible with what is politically tenable
- Experience running a complex technical organization interfacing with governments
- Knowledge of open source software licensing and IP issues as well as managing large-scale open source communities
- Though not responsible for PRs and shoveling code, ideally you will have written code in the last 10yrs and are familiar with modern tech stacks
- Fluent in setting technical strategy for a diverse range of org ambitions
- Experience setting strategies that address equity issues
- Comfortable speaking about technology issues in global health forums would be ideal, but is not required
- Experience building diverse and inclusive teams
- Specific experience in global health products and public health would be a big bonus
- International government experience in places like India, Ethiopia, and China would be a bonus
- Able to work in East Coast US time zone hours
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to SVP Tech