Senior Health Security Specialist
Secondment - Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about our Prevent Epidemics initiative, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://preventepidemics.org/
The purpose of this position is to enhance the Global Fund’s capacity to contribute to improved health security for better health outcomes on HIV, TB and Malaria. During and after the current COVID-19 pandemic, it will be important to strengthen health systems while maintaining essential health services like HIV, TB and malaria. There is a significant need to ensure health security is operationalized in grants to countries and to articulate how health security elements are embedded in the Global Fund strategy and complementary investments such as Catalytic Funding. Improved investment guidance for countries and Global Fund Country Teams is needed to maximize the contribution of Global Fund resources to improving domestic epidemic preparedness and response mechanisms within the context of global health security.
In seconding a Health Security Specialist to the Global Fund, Resolve is contributing to ensuring the effective use of Global Fund resources for health security strengthening, within context of 3 diseases.
- Policy. The Health Security Specialist contributes to the development and the operationalization of Global Fund policies related to health security, including through regular updates and harmonisation with Partners’ approaches.
- Internal advice and support to grant implementation. He/she provides professional expertise to Country Teams and other internal stakeholders in order to ensure quality of services and mitigate global health security risks that can be detrimental for HIV, TB and Malaria.
- Partnerships. The Health Security Specialist works with partners to support program implementation and keep him/herself and the whole organization abreast of technical matters related to public health surveillance, antimicrobial resistance, pandemic preparedness and response and any other matters related to health security.
Under the leadership of the Senior Technical Coordinator, MNCH & HSS, and in collaboration with the Technical Advice & Partnerships Department and the Grants Management Division, the Health Security Specialist will work to ensure the effective use of Global Fund resources for resilient health systems within the context of pandemic preparedness and response. S/he will work on:
Policy review and technical guidance
- S/He will review Global Fund’s ability to operationalize guidance related to global health security across the grant cycle.
- S/He will review existing technical guidance for investments, developed by partner organizations and develop guidance, as appropriate for future investments in strengthening health security within context of the three diseases, facilitating alignment with other donors’ approaches.
- S/He will develop training material for Country Teams and other internal stakeholders on health security strengthening and expansion, technical updates
- S/He will develop and/or share tools related to strengthening health security for capacity building
- Provide advice and guidance to Global Fund Country Teams on technical and programmatic issues related to health security, through TAP’s existing support model to the Grant Management Division
- The Health Security Specialist provides technical inputs on health security matters to a range of internal stakeholders, including Country Teams, Sourcing and Supply Chain Department, and the Disease and Health Advisors.
- The Health Security Specialist works in close collaboration with partners, including normative agencies such as WHO to keep him/herself and the whole organization abreast of technical matters related to health security and collaborates closely on partnership strategies for Global Fund.
Internal advice and support during grant making and implementation
Upon request, s/he provides professional opinion and expert guidance to Secretariat on:
- Analyses of internal and external Global Fund contributions to health security and coordinating the follow through on recommendations
- Secretariat Briefing Notes, TRP briefings, and GAC
- Adequacy of the proposed investments in health security in relation to HIV, TB and Malaria
Contributions to cross cutting work
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Advanced university degree in public health/epidemiology and/or medicine
- At least 15 years’ experience working in health systems preparedness and response
- Experience with international agencies, and ideally multi-lateral agencies, on health security matters
- At least 5 years’ experience in health system strengthening in a resource poor settings/ fragile, conflict and vulnerable environments
- Proven experience in developing health security related policies, tools, and technical guidance
- Knowledge of best practices for health security related to pandemics, antimicrobial resistance, and disease surveillance
- Knowledge of health security related to HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria programs in limited resource settings
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with others
- Excellent knowledge of English and preferably a good working knowledge of French; knowledge of other languages would be an asset
Location: Global Fund Secretariat, Geneva, Switzerland
To Apply: Please submit your CV and a cover letter through this link.