Senior Accounting Manager
Posted: November 15, 2021
Resolve to Save lives
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health
organization working in more than 70 countries to strengthen public
health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality.
Resolve to Save Lives is an initiative of Vital Strategies with a mission to prevent 100 million deaths from heart disease and to make the world safer from epidemics. We are led by Dr Tom Frieden, former director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Resolve to Save Lives is transitioning to an independent public health organization to maximize its global impact with speed, simplicity, and scale. Read more about our work at resolvetosavelives.org.
We believe our programs are strengthened when they are developed and supported by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose understanding of social and cultural issues can help make our work and workforce more inclusive. We encourage people of all racial, ethnic, economic, social, cultural, sexual orientation, and gender expressions to apply.
Resolve to Save Lives seeks a Senior Accounting Manager. This individual will oversee the accounting function for all global offices, supervise the new accounting team (2+ persons), liaise closely with in-country staff, and report to the Director of Finance. The Senior Accounting Manager directs the accounting operations of our global $50 million annual budget organization ensuring accounting data integrity and adherence to GAAP. This role supports various financial reporting needs across the organization and partners with the Director of Finance in developing accounting policies and procedures, establishing internal controls, and identifying accounting process improvements and efficiencies. After four years of rapid expansion, Resolve to Save Lives has announced plans to become a fully independent, U.S.-based, and registered nonprofit organization, effective by April 2022. To that end, this is a hands-on position in a dynamic operating environment and will play a key role in formalizing the accounting department for the new entity, including implementation of Resolve’s new financial systems and establishment of the accounting team. This full-time position is remote. The incumbent will be expected to convene for team meetings in NYC beginning in January 2022.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support configuration of new financial systems including input of initial records and customization of reports and workflows
- Oversee migration and reconciliation of opening account balances into new financial accounting system
- Assist in recruitment of accounting team staff
- Assist in the development and delivery of organization-wide training on new financial systems and related operating procedures
- Develop accounting manual to accompany new systems and procedures
- Oversee day-to-day accounting activities (AP, AR, CD, CR, GL) including supervision and development of accounting staff
- Implement established accounting policies, operating procedures, and internal controls
- Maintain financial accounting system and manage integrations with other relevant applications including banking, bill pay, procurement, payroll, CRM, etc.
- Guide interpretation and application of accounting principles and standards and remain current on new pronouncements
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll in conjunction with HR
- Monitor cash flow and prepare related projections
- Manage month and year-end closing processes including consolidation with country offices, cost allocations, account reconciliations, and dissemination of financial reports
- Collaborate with other members of the finance team to create routine and ad hoc reports for grant management and other financial analysis
- Coordinate annual budgeting process and facilitate periodic modifications
- Continue to develop and implement process improvements
- Support the Senior Management Team in engaging the board’s audit and finance committee on relevant topics
Audit & tax support
- Liaise with external auditors and oversee preparation of audit schedules, financial statements, and federal and state tax filings
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required, Master's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration preferred
- Minimum 8 years of accounting experience in increasingly responsible positions including 5 years at global non-profit preferably with an annual budget of at least $10 million
Skills & abilities
- Comprehensive understanding of GAAP and government regulations applicable to nonprofit organizations
- Commitment to Resolve’s mission and desire to establish effective relationships with global finance team members, grant managers, and other staff advancing organizational goals and objectives
- Experience overseeing external audits and preparing 990 returns
- Experience supervising and developing diverse staff across global locations
- Proficient in MS Office 365 with advanced skills in MS Excel and financial accounting systems (such as NetSuite, Intacct, MS Dynamics, Financial Edge NXT)
- Skilled in identification and application of technology to streamline accounting functions and integrate systems
- Clear and tactful communicator with internal and external audiences
- CPA preferred