Rails Developer Intern
Posted: November 10, 2020
Resolve to Save Lives
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization that strengthens public health systems and addresses the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making, advancing evidence-based public health policies and programs, and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, international organizations, community organizations, academic and other partners in more than 40 countries to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and strengthening capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about us, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/; https://preventepidemics.org/; and https://linkscommunity.org/.
At Resolve to Save Lives (RTSL), an
initiative of Vital Strategies, we value learning and professional development,
and the contributions of a diverse workforce. We believe it is important to
mentor future leaders from underrepresented groups who will grow personally and
professionally and create impact in the public health sector. Interns at
Resolve to Save Lives will have the chance to develop skills and contribute to
our initiatives through engaging, meaningful work assignments that can help
jump start their career in public health.
Simple is a digital tool that supports large-scale hypertension programs in India, Bangladesh, and Ethiopia. The Simple Team is composed of experts in many fields—from software designers and engineers to public health officials and doctors. We’re a diverse team spread around the world—from India and the UK to San Francisco, Wisconsin, and New York.
The engineering intern will be focused on the Simple.org project at Resolve to Save Lives, with a particular focus on the Simple Dashboard, which is used by health systems managers to monitor how their hypertension program is doing. Read more about the Simple Dashboard here: https://www.simple.org/simple-dashboard/
The intern will be working with experienced Rails developers in the US and India to make improvements to the Simple Dashboard and to develop new features. The intern will work on real open source code that will benefit patients around the world.
- Help to deliver features, fix bugs, and maintain our main Ruby on Rails application (https://github.com/simpledotorg/simple-server). This includes our admin dashboard, sync API, and various async jobs and tasks.
- Review engineering work, provide quality feedback, and give suggestions to engineering peers
- Assist in QA (quality assurance)
- Build out an acceptance test suite for our charts.js admin dashboards with a tool like Cypress (https://www.cypress.io/)
- Work with our product and design team to iterate on product ideas. The intern will ensure that our user experience is high quality and simple to use for health professionals.
- Work closely with other engineers via remote pair-programming, code review sessions, and pull requests
- Undergraduate student
- Area of study: Computer science or computer engineering
- Up to 25 hours a week
- January through May 2021 with the possible option to renew, based on mutual agreement
- Internship will be based out of the New York office but will be remote while the office remains closed
Send your resume and a cover letter describing your experience and suitability for this role to the following link: Rails Developer Intern