Program Officer, Nutrition
Posted: August 18, 2021
Resolve to Save Lives
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that, since September 2017, has worked closely with governments, the World Health Organization, academic and other civil society partners in low and middle-income countries to build capacity for and implement a core package of interventions to reduce cardiovascular disease. For more information about our work, visit Resolve and LINKS.
The Program Officer, Nutrition will support implementation of the Resolve to Save Lives Cardiovascular Health (CVH) initiative, with a focus on nutrition policy, surveillance and reducing sodium consumption as well as supporting the LINKS program. The LINKS program is an on-line platform for resource sharing, networking and dissemination, grantmaking and implementation of high impact strategies to reduce cardioavascular disease through hypertension control, sodium reduction, and the elimination of artificial trans fat. This role will focus on providing support to our portfolio of projects aimed to reduce salt intake worldwide, including front of pack labeling, marketing restrictions for unhealthy foods, setting of salt targets for packaged food, healthy public food procurement, and promotion of low sodium salts.
This is a full-time position currently based remotely with the incumbent being expected to regularly attend meetings in NYC starting in January 2022.
The Program Officer, Nutrition, will work under the guidance of and report to the Technical Advisor, Sodium and Surveillance.
- Synthesize scientific and technical information such as scientific journal articles, reports, or news summaries related to nutrition topics including sodium reduction and cross cutting nutrition issues related to the CVH initiative
- Develop program guidance documents, such as presentations, factsheets, technical and other communications materials regarding various topics around nutrition and surveillance
- Work with the Technical Advisor, Sodium and Surveillance to provide technical support to Resolve to Save Lives’ partners and projects
- Provide support to the Director, Nutrition and Surveillance, on surveillance projects including developing survey protocols, fact sheets reporting results from surveillance studies, updating nutrition databases, and other projects as needed
- Run a community of practice for sodium reduction grantees and partners of Resolve to Save Lives
- Review regular progress reports from implementing partners and countries and maintain relevant status trackers for project management purposes, including for LINKS projects
- Support the ongoing review and updates to the LINKS sodium reduction toolkit and maintain a library of sodium reduction resources and literature
- Develop content, such as reports, academic articles, social media messages, case studies, etc. to highlight the work, progress, and lessons of Resolve to Save Lives sodium reduction projects
- Follow the overall nutrition policy landscape and provide input to the nutrition team on key developments and topics to watch
- Serve as the point person for human subjects applications for ethical approval for sodium reduction grants and projects
- Lead development of select initiatives, as needed
- Support the CVH initiative at international conferences and meetings and with implementing partners
- Additional tasks as required to support the overall nutrition program of the CVH initiative
- Master’s degree in public health, with a preferred focus on nutrition, global health, and / or epidemiology
- Three or more years of relevant work experience such as public health program implementation or program support
- Experience in or demonstrated understanding of health policy and nutrition, additional preferred experience in or understanding of non-communicable diseases
- Proven research and analytical skills; demonstrated experience in survey/questionnaire development and data analysis
- Clear, effective and highly efficient writing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and deliver against tight deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for harmonious internal teamwork and global partnerships across cultures
- Flexible, collaborative work style yet capable of working independently
- Prior experience working on policy development and / or policy advocacy a plus
- Prior experience working in low- and middle-income settings or with underserved communities preferred
- Proficiency in languages in addition to English a plus