Program Evaluation Specialist, US COVID-19 Response Initiative
Posted: October 1, 2020
Wake County Public Health and Clinics, North Carolina (12 Months, Full-time)
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that since 2017 has been working closely with governments, international organizations, community organizations, academic and other partners in more than 40 countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. For more information about our Prevent Epidemics initiative, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/ and https://preventepidemics.org/
Our work in the US is focused on strengthening the technical, policy and operational capacity of state, city and county health departments to effectively control COVID-19, with an emphasis on vulnerable communities disproportionately affected by COVID-19. We are working North Carolina to demonstrate innovation and document and disseminate best practices.
The Program Evaluation Specialist will be selected, funded, paid, and supported technically by the Vital Strategies / Resolve to Save Lives US COVID-19 Response Team, and will be embedded in Wake County Public Health and Clinics (Raleigh, North Carolina area) to support the health department’s COVID-19 response efforts.
This individual will operate as an embedded team member of the county health department, reporting to a senior member of the health department while receiving technical guidance from and collaborating with Vital Strategies/Resolve to Save Lives US COVID-19 Response cross-functional team.
This is a full-time employment contract for a period 12 months with the employee working remotely until on-site work is possible. A very strong preference will be given to applicants residing in or near to Wake County, North Carolina.
In close collaboration with local health department staff, provide support within the health department to:
- Use the CDC evaluation framework for public health programs as a basis for program monitoring and evaluation activities
- Support the health department in identifying and creating metrics and tools for measuring the performance and impact of COVID-19 prevention interventions, testing, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine, infection prevention and control, and other interventions and approaches to COVID control
- Compile existing metrics from various sources and create additional metrics, as needed
- Support the health department in planning and implementing rapid-cycle processes for monitoring and evaluating COVID prevention and control activities in the jurisdiction
- Support the health department in analyzing monitoring and evaluation data, tracking objectives, monitoring trends in performance, and developing reports for various audiences
- Identify implementation science objectives and design and implement targeted projects with the health department
- Identify and collaborate with health department and external stakeholders to ensure that monitoring and evaluation activities and reports meet their needs
- Produce high quality reports and briefs
- Other duties as assigned
Required competencies and qualifications:
- Master’s degree or higher in public health or other relevant field with 10 or more years of experience
- Experience and expertise in public health program evaluation
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with multi-disciplinary team and deliver against tight deadlines
- Experience in government and public health practice strongly preferred
- Experience providing technical consultation and support
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Ability to work independently and collaboratively
To Apply: Submit your CV and a cover letter describing your experience and suitability for this role to: Program Evaluation. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Vital Strategies aims to recruit a consultant who is best suited to work within our US COVID response team and welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds – men and women, people of all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. We particularly encourage applications from Black and Latinx candidates, given COVID-19’s disproportionate impact on these communities.