Posted: November 2, 2020
Resolve to Save Lives, an initiative of Vital Stategies
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs in low and middle-income countries to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and by preventing and responding to infectious disease epidemics. Since September 2017, the Resolve to Save Lives Cardiovascular and Prevent Epidemics teams have been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in low- and middle-income countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats and improve cardiovascular health. For more information about us, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/, https://preventepidemics.org/ and https://linkscommunity.org/.
The Finance Director will direct and oversee the financial activities of Resolve to Save Lives’ $300 million global public health portfolio, with an annual budget of ~ $45 million, which recently doubled to $90 million. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, Resolve to Save Lives, the Finance Director will provide day-to-day management as well as high-level planning support and supervision of staff in the initiative’s fast-growing Finance unit. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
- Provide overall leadership of the Finance unit for Resolve to Save Lives’ $300 million portfolio
- Oversee all financial processes, including budget preparation, forecasting, variance analysis, and cash flow activities
- Direct the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports and summaries to internal and external (donors) stakeholders
- Work with Program heads to monitor each program’s budget and make recommendations
- Ensure integration and change management of new financial tools such as Power BI
- Supervise the Finance team, including two senior grant operations managers, a business intelligence officer, and a finance assistant
- Analyze projections and budgeted expenses to actual expenses and drive process of making adjustments for re-forecasting and future budget exercises
- Develop and maintain key metrics that support the financial health of the portfolio
- Oversee the initiative’s compliance to all audit and organizational policies
- Create monthly presentations for senior management; make recommendations to improve unit optimization and inform broader programmatic and operational decisions of the initiative
Required skills and qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Finance or MBA, and at least 15 years of financial management experience
- Excellent management and supervisory skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Proficient in database and relevant financial/enterprise resource planning application systems (Netsuite)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to transform and communicate complex data for varied audiences
- Experience in the international not-for-profit sector is a plus
To apply: Please send your CV and cover letter to: Finance Director. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.