Posted: July 14, 2020
Resolve to Save Lives
Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Resolve to Save Lives is a global health initiative of Vital Strategies that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and by preventing infectious disease epidemics. Since September 2017, the Resolve to Save Lives Cardiovascular and Prevent Epidemics teams have been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, academic and other partners in a number of low- and middle-income countries to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats and improve cardiovascular health. For more information about us, visit: https://www.resolvetosavelives.org/, https://preventepidemics.org/ and https://linkscommunity.org/.
The Communications Officer is a New York-based position and part of a small team. Communications staff at Resolve to Save Lives cover a wide variety of tasks, such as creating written and digital materials for a range of audiences, supporting top-tier media interviews, developing behavior change communication campaigns, managing advocacy and communication partnerships, and developing strategic communications plans to support our team and program goals. The Communications Officer will report to the Communications Manager.
Resolve to Save Lives is seeking a Communications Officer to support our global efforts to improve cardiovascular health.
- Serve as Cardiovascular Health (CVH) team communications point of contact, contributing to a variety of communications projects concerning the elimination of trans fat, sodium reduction, hypertension treatment, and global web-based knowledge sharing
- Develop communications materials to support CVH program efforts, such as fact sheets, externally-facing reports, brochures, posters, OpEds, blogs, success stories, presentations, panel remarks and other project collateral
- Provide communications support for the LINKS platform for global cardiovascular health professionals
- Support speaking engagements related to our CVH program
- Co-develop network of global cardiovascular disease communicators; identify opportunities for cross-promoting materials
- Manage dissemination strategies for CVH communications products, including media outreach
- Support tracking/management of all RTSL communications activities
- Support external event management (UNGA, WHA, conferences)
- Develop media interview prep materials
- Draft content for internal newsletter, RTSL website and social media channels
- Support RTSL CVH scientific article production and promotion
- Co-manage content for ResolvetoSaveLives.org
- Collaborate with CVH and communications staff on new ideas, directions and venues for RTSL communications
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience in public health, health communications, health policy, public relations, communications, or digital communication (or Master’s degree and 3+ years’ experience)
- Outstanding writing skills with sample blogs, OpEds, and/or short essays
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral
- Exceptional computer skills with experience in all Microsoft Office programs
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign preferred
- Proficiency with content management systems (Wordpress, Statamic) preferred
- Proficiency in HTML and CSS is a plus
- Background in health or biological sciences is a plus
- Self-motivated, meticulously organized, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Resolve to Save Lives and the communities we serve
How to Apply: Send your resume, writing samples and a cover letter describing your experience and suitability for this role the following link. The closing date is 30 July 2020.